It is a beautiful place, serene and peaceful. Warm and inviting yet strangely invigorating, shades of pink fill the land and happiness is like oxygen - easy to breathe in and necessary for life. Welcome to the Bubbleland of the Pink Princess.

9.13.2006

Marriage and Wedding Commentary

I would like to thank all of you for your congratulatory comments both here and on Facebook! I thought that I would post an update to let all of you know what else is happening with this bride-to-be!

I am currently in Michigan again, continuing the job hunt and trying to remain patient to the best of my ability – it is not going so well. Job hunts are frustrating, time consuming and seldom lead anywhere. So when I am not tied up with that, I use the remainder of my free time to research marriage and also work on wedding plans! It is this topic that leads to utter frustration and practical fury.

1. Anyone who is engaged or was, will sympathize with me. There is just not enough decent information published on the beautiful Sacrament of Marriage. There is all sorts published on contraception, birth control, NFP, etc. etc. But what about just an honest discussion and discourse on the beauty that Marriage holds, the intrinsic glory that it contains, its link to the ultimate Union with God in Heaven, the symbolism of Christ the Bridegroom with his Bride the Church. I mean why has not someone just expounded on the beautiful texts in the Bible. Namely: Ephesians 5 & 1 Corinthians 13. If anyone has suggestions or research topics I missed… let me know!

2. As someone who loves to plan events and desires to do so for a living, I would like to vent my secondary frustration: that the whole Wedding Business is nothing but one giant money sucking scam. There is no way that things cost this much! There is no reason they should and if I had it my way I would start a company that was not out to rip off as many couples as possible; necessarily forcing them into a money owing state that for them that is comparable to our gross national debt. Why my huge beef with this? Because it is the largest and most ridiculous mark-up of anything I have seen and people pay it!!! Talk about boycotts… this should be everyone’s first! The biggest problem I have with the whole thing, is the conformity to the same model (everyone does the exact same thing) and how poorly that model works. Yet, people still do it. WHY? I have no idea. So, what is my solution… well I am not going to share that here but I have one. And I intend to work out a business that utilizes said plan and I am positive that I will get so many brides who want to go with this giant money saving plan that my corporation could be the next Martha Stewart Industry (except without all the lying, cheating, jail time, etc.).

So, there you have my two large frustrations with my current state of life. The third one is just the unbelievable audacity that some people have. You would not believe the questions that some people ask?! It is comparable to people going up to a pregnant woman they do not even know and caressing her belly. I mean WHAT are people thinking? There really is no response that I can even conjure up that would even be a “nice” response. Most of the comments I fear are met with blank stares to my questioner… I feel that the fact that a question with such implications does not even deserve the courtesy of a reply.
Well I hope that all is well with you and that you enjoyed my little tirade. Check in later for more Marriage and Wedding Commentary.

Yours,The Bride-to-be

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Torie -
Re: the first tirade, I highly, highly recommend two books:
1) "Three to Get Married" by Bishop Fulton Sheen (a more theological, very readable, wonderfully beautiful book)
2) "Sacred Marriage" by Gary Thomas - an evangelical Christian author (a more practical book that addresses the question "What if marriage isn't about making us happy but about making us holy?")
I've read both of them multiple times & gotten lots out of them, thoroughly un-yet-married though I am.

4:51 PM

 
Blogger Thomas said...

Torie-

I agree fully with Heidi about "Three Two Get Married". Also I would recommend the second part of the Theology of the Body by JP II. It is primarily about Ephisians 5 and 1 Cor. 13. Also I would recomend getting your hands on a copy of Msgr. George A. Kelly's "A Catholic Marriage Manual". "Man, Woman and the Meaning of Love" by Deitrich von Heildbrand is an intresting one as well. and of course there is a wealth of information from John F Kippling, in particular "Marriage is for Keeps". There are mainy more that I know of, but I don't want to make this to long. You just happened to be going into one of my major areas of intrest or as some have put it obssetion (sp?).

5:34 PM

 
Blogger Princess Torie said...

Greetings all!!
I would like to thank you for suggestions and comments on my blog. I have decided that I have been so lax in my blogging duties... so keep checking back for updates.
I would also like to specifically thank Jason the "so wonderful and beautiful" for stopping by my pink blog and for his comments!
peace to you all!

5:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I highly recommend "Male and Female He Created Them" by Cardinal Jorge Medina Estavez. Its a great summary of Scriptural teaching on marriage and family and other aspects of a Catholic marriage (its an easy read to). Also, "Brave New Family" by G.K. Chesterton.

5:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Torie,

Congratulations on your engagement! You and your fiance will be in my prayers.

In response to your post: "What God has Joined...The Sacramentality of Marriage" by Peter J. Elliott is a very good book on the sacrament of marriage - I used it when writing my thesis on marriage and found it enlightening/useful for my own marriage preparation. It also looks into Ephesians 5, among other biblical references to marriage.

5:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home