It is a beautiful place, serene and peaceful. Warm and inviting yet strangely invigorating, shades of pink fill the land and happiness is like oxygen - easy to breathe in and necessary for life. Welcome to the Bubbleland of the Pink Princess.

7.27.2005

Childhood memories...


Yesterday brought with it a new and rather exciting event: I got a library card. Though I have been living in this city for almost 6 years now – I have never taken the time to get a library card. I think the last time that I had one, I was 11 or 12 years old. This unintended-protest of the public library was I think caused by the professors of my lovely Alma Mater. They had this lovely notion that we should read in our under-graduate career the majority of all things published since 2000 BC! So I had library cards to our library and the state school libraries, internet libraries, the list goes on… but not one to the public library. Maybe it was just one more place with just more books… that if I knew they were there the too would haunt me. Or maybe it was because the idea of going to a place during my non-existent spare time which had more books really was not an exciting idea. Regardless of the causes of my previous lack – I know have the passport to free movies, cds, books on tape, books, a whole host of other things.

Last night, my task was spring cleaning my apartment, a difficult one when inside my little house the thermometer read 84 degrees. But nevertheless, it is a process that I have wanted to start for sometime, and it commenced last night. Though it should take me the rest of the week and weekend, working a little at a time – it shall get done. Though I did not get as far as I had anticipated the good news is that I am farther along than before. :o) The one comment that I would like to insert here is a note on the tile that is laid in my bathroom, kitchen and right by the back door. It is some kind of stone tile… for those of you who are planning on building/re-doing your homes: DO NOT GET THIS FLOOR. It is the most horrific part of cleaning my little home. It can only be done with industrial strength arm power, a sturdy scrub brush, a sponge and a hands&knees cleaning stance. There is no mopping or swiffering this floor – none of that will do. Though it hides the dirt well, it does not make up for it as it is impossible to clean. So, please take heed. ;o)

After cleaning I headed to the library where I checked out two movies (You’ve Got Mail and What’s Up Doc) and a cd (the You’ve Got Mail Soundtrack). All the scrubbing had made me quite hungry as well, so I made myself some dinner, nothing fancy – just the blue box blues – that’s right, Kraft Mac & Cheese. As I curled up on the couch with one of my favorite dinners (memories of my childhood come time mind with that first creamy bite… this was the first thing that mom let me cook on my own on the stove top. :o)) I put on You’ve Got Mail, which has to be one of favorite movies of all time. I can’t even begin to think how many times I have seen this and I never tire of it… I have the entire movie memorized. I turned it off mid-way through, so my roomie, her boyfriend and I could all watch a movie together – What’s Up Doc. They had never seen it before, and it is another childhood memory for me. If you have not seen it – rent it – its hilarious.

Today shall be a quiet day as I am flying this ship solo – that’s right I am here alone by my onesie. My boss left for a luncheon conference and this leaves me here to work on the stacks of paperwork that line my large desk. There is plenty to do and for the break time, I get to teach myself more fun tricks on Photoshop!

It is a cool day – only 61 degrees so far. The sky is blanketed by grey and lavender clouds which are supposed to float off to reveal the sun above. Though the clouds seem more appropriate for the day… I always love mornings after a storm… peaceful and calm and it the sun almost seems too cheery. But here’s wishing you a day filled with firsts and warm memories of you childhood: the time when friendship bracelets and slinkies were the coolest things, the favored time of day was when the ice cream truck drove by, and when you just wanted five more minutes before you went to bed…

Yours,
The pink princess

7 Comments:

Blogger World Traveler said...

I am glad to see the first thing you picked up at the library was a movie.

What is this world coming to?

3:38 PM

 
Blogger World Traveler said...

PS: Why is your font so small? Please think of your older readers.

3:38 PM

 
Blogger Princess Torie said...

haha. sushi yelled at me too. she said that she was already embarrased that i didn't even have a card and the first thing that i rented from the place was a movie. but i am in the middle of 2 books already - what's a body to do? ;)

also sorry about the small font - not sure why it came out so small. dumb formatting problem apparently. i will try to fix that!

hope all is well!

4:05 PM

 
Blogger World Traveler said...

so, hopefully we are on for Yotsuba tomorrow around 1???

I understand the book dilemma. I raced through HP and now am back to Adams. It is a let down.

12:32 PM

 
Blogger Chribis said...

I say if you can get free movies, then take 'em. The Cds too. Why not? I am surprised you mentioned books at all since you don't read. Hey, while your at it you might as well get books on tape or rather cd, hell, why not just rent the movie that was based on the book? In fact just forget that the library has books.

7:19 PM

 
Blogger Princess Torie said...

Chrib -

I like the way you think! ;) haha!

9:23 AM

 
Blogger World Traveler said...

Congrats..I am officially blind.

5:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home